A Case for the
K145 (version 2)
This is a second article, presenting an alternate technique for mounting
a K145 board into a case. Again intended as inspiration, and not a lot of detail
For this unit, I used a plastic case with removable end panels. Rather than
replace the existing DB9 connector with a panel-mount type, I kept it, and mounted the
board in the case so that the DB9 protrudes through an oversize hole in one of the end
The K145 board doesn't have mounting holes, so I modified the DB9
socket by removing the threaded angle brackets. Doing this frees up the
"pin" holes on the board that the DB9 plugs into for mechanical
stability. Screws and spacers can then be used to position the board in the case
Notice the (removed) angle brackets lying beside the
board. With this particular socket, I found that 4-40 thread nuts fit the hex
posts (thread type may depend on manufacturer and region). The holes in the
board can now take mounting screws.
Rather than jacks, I decided to go with the K190 style of using terminal blocks for
sensor connections. In this case, I used 3-pin pc-mount terminal blocks.
These I soldered onto a piece of strip board cut to the same size as an end
A LED was added to
the circuit, using the same method as in the first article.
Other than wiring for the LED, and mods to the the DB9 socket, the board was
used as supplied. Overall, this was a much simpler construction project,
compared to the first one.
If you're just starting with the K145, see the cable article
for more info about sensor cabling.
Information and images
are copyright © 2009 by John Gray