Note: this BETA version is published in order to gain user
feedback. Please do (send feedback).
OnTheWire will find temperature sensors on a 1-Wire network, and read/display their temperature values. It will recognize and work with DS18B20, DS18S20,
and DS1822 temperature sensors.
OnTheWire connects to a 1-Wire network through a 1-Wire Adapter. A 1-Wire hardware adapter provides the serial communication interface (with appropriate timings) between a computer and the 1-Wire network. This interface can be straight serial, usb-to-serial, or usb.
Where the K145, K190, and the VK011 hardware connect individual sensors to individual microcontroller pins, the 1-Wire Adapter connects multiple devices (in this case temperature sensors) all on one line/wire.
How many sensors can be connected depends largely on network
topology and cable lengths. OnTheWire will read all
sensors connected, but will log up to 15 sensors max.
At this writing, OnTheWire has been successfully tested with the
- Denkovi USB-to-1-Wire Adapter, and the
The Denkovi Adapter uses a terminal
block connection for the sensors.
- iButtonLink LinkUSB USB-to-1-Wire Adapter.
The LinkUSB is available with
terminal block or RJ45 connection.
These Adapters use or emulate the Dallas/Maxim DS2480B adapter
Other commercially available Adapters based on the DS9097U (serial) or DS9097R (usb) adapter chips may
connect as well. There is also a serial adapter circuit floating around the ‘net that uses discrete components. In early proof-of-concept testing, a user reported that he was able to connect using this adapter. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get any further details, about how/what he did to achieve this.
- Win7/8/10 - 32 or 64bit (maybe works on Vista or XP,
but not supported there)
- approx. 8 MB of drive space, incl. Help file
- an available usb or serial port (depends on the Adapter
You can download the files here.
Jan 17/20 v0.9.9 (Beta) (19)
- added option to autosave the temperature Log
(saves every 24hr pre Midnight, then clears existing log data)
- added option to add a comment to temperature Log
- unused Log columns are now hidden
Jan 10/20 v0.9.5 (Beta)
- Buffer window now collects readings for all
- some visual changes to the Buffer window
- Help file partially updated
Jan 08/20 v0.9.1 (Beta)